Roasted Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup with Pumpkin Pecan Crunch
|Sweet potato, garnet, sliced in half||2 very large|
|Acorn squash, sliced in half, seeded||2 medium|
|Sweet onion, large dice||1 onion|
|Garlic, chopped||4 large cloves|
|Red or green Thai chili, seeded, stemmed, chopped||2 medium|
|Vegetable stock||4 1/2 cups / 36 oz|
|Coconut milk, canned||7 oz|
|Garam masala||To taste|
|Kosher salt||To taste|
|Laura’s Gourmet Granola, Pumpkin Pecan Crunch||1 cup or as needed|
|Cream from top of unshaken can of coconut milk||1/2 cup|
|Red Thai chilies, thinly sliced||1 ea|
Yield 8 cups / 1 1/2 quarts / 48 oz
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub sweet potato flesh lightly with vegetable oil and season with kosher salt, then place flesh side down on a parchment lined sheet tray. On same tray, place acorn squash flesh side up. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Roast until tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- In a large stock pot or saucepan, heat about 1 T of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook three minutes, then add garlic and Thai chilies.
- When sweet potato and squash are tender, remove from oven. Peel skin from sweet potato and cut in large chunks. Add to onions in pot.
- Scoop the flesh from the acorn squash and place in the pot with the sweet potato and onions.
- Add vegetable stock and cook, covered, 15 minutes at a high simmer.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until very smooth. Add coconut milk and puree again, then season to taste with garam masala and kosher salt.
- Return to heat, simmer gently until ready to serve.
- Toss Laura’s Gourmet Granola, Pumpkin Pecan Crunch, with thinly sliced Thai chilies. To serve, put a small dollop of the coconut cream on each bowl and “float” the granola-chili blend on top. Serve immediately.