Blissfully BlueBerry Scones
|All purpose flour||2 cups (250 grams)|
|Sugar, granulated||1/2 cup (114 grams)|
|Kosher salt||1/2 teaspoon|
|Baking powder||2 1/2 teaspoons|
|Unsalted butter, frozen||1/2 cup (4 oz or 115 grams)|
|Heavy cream||1/2 cup (4 oz or 120 ml)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1/2 teaspoons|
|Laura’s Gourmet Granola, BlueBerry Bliss Crunch||1 1/2 cups (150 grams)|
|Coarse sugar, like turbinado||As needed|
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Shred the butter, using a cheese grater, over the bowl. Using either two forks or a pastry cutter, combine the butter into the flour mixture to create pea-sized crumbs. Hold in refrigerator.
- Whisk the egg and vanilla, then add the heavy cream. Add to the flour mixture with the BlueBerry Bliss Crunch and combine well until the dough is thick and moistened.
- Place dough on a clean, flat surface. Using floured hands, work dough into a ball and press into an 8-inch disc. Using a bench cutter or table knife (so you don’t hurt the countertop), cut into 8 even wedges. Transfer to a Silpat lined sheet tray.
- Brush scones with additional heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar like turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Refrigerate scones for at least 15 minutes before baking. (Note, once scones are in the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 375 degrees convection. When the oven is at the proper temperature, the refrigerated scones will be ready for baking).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown along the edges and just beginning to brown on the top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store tightly sealed up to three days or refrigerated for 5 days.
Note: Scones can be prepared and refrigerated overnight before baking.
Note: If using a conventional oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 18-21 minutes.